The National Association of Social Workers is pleased to co-sponsor the Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE) Fourth National Conference on LGBT Aging. The conference, presented by AARP, will be held October 12-14, 2008 at the Marriott New York at the Brooklyn Bridge.
Currently, SAGE is seeking proposals for its Fourth National Conference on LGBT Aging, entitled, It’s About Time: LGBT Aging in a Changing World. Proposals are due no later than May 15th. (Extended to May 30th) Multiple submissions are welcome.Â For more information on proposal submissions contact www.sageusa.org/nationalconference
Goals of the Conference are to:
- Increase awareness of the diversity of LGBT people ages 50 and older for professionals and policymakers working in aging services, LGBT programs, HIV areas, and related fields.
- Provide concrete, tangible examples of replicable work that will build capacity in agencies providing or seeking to provide services to LGBT seniors.
- Provide an interactive and educational setting where experts share information with attendees on the latest issues, services, programs, policies, research and trends addressing the future of LGBT aging.
- Offer “skills-building” training for professionals seeking to begin or increase their capacity to provide services and programs that look to the future of LGBT aging in the United States.
- Offer “best practices” or “lessons learned” in the development of programs and services for underserved senior populations that have applicability to LGBT seniors.
Conference organizers welcome proposals focusing on:
- Service & Program. We are seeking presentations on effective service delivery systems and program/service models; outreach techniques, needs assessments and other developmental tools; best practices/lessons learned; reaching underserved populations, and more. Capacity-building sessions that offer staff and board development, fundraising approaches, event development, marketing/communications and other “nuts and bolts” components for creating LGBT services and programs in senior settings especially welcome.
- Effective Policy Strategies/Removing Barriers. We are seeking presentations from policymakers, funders and agency professionals which address successful partnerships within and between LGBT and aging service programs; working with AAA’s and offices for aging; cultural competency curricula and training programs; policy and legal sessions on barriers affecting LGBT seniors; funding and fiscal strategies, and more.
- Health, Wellbeing & Sexuality. We are seeking proposals for sessions that will increase competency in the areas of health, mental health, sexuality, and spirituality. The graying of the AIDS epidemic; trans-health issues; substance abuse; developmental and physical disabilities; elder abuse; and other specialized areas are welcome.
- Role of Research/Research to Practice. We are seeking research (completed and in development) on or affecting LGBT aging; HIV over 50 and other health research; translating research into practice, practice-based research, effective evaluation and outcome measurement practices; and analyses of current issues in aging.
For a complete application and further information, visit www.sageusa.org/nationalconference