NASW is joining with advocates to rally to protect health care. If you are available and interested, please join in.
WHY WE RALLY
22 million people will lose health care coverage under the current proposal in Congress.
On July 5, 2017, Rally to Protect Health Care at your senators’ local office.
As we celebrate our nation’s birthday, we must recognize the impact health care reform legislation will have on the life, liberty and pursuit of happiness of our citizens. Slashing billions of Medicaid dollars from state budgets would cost 22 million lives.
So the people will make their voices heard.
WHY WE RALLY IF YOU CARE ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESSES AND ADDICTIONS
This legislation will have an especially devastating impact on people with addictions and mental health issues.
Congress has made incredible strides in advancing access to care for mental illness and addiction in recent years. Now some of them are poised to undo that progress. It is shocking that members of Congress – many of whom have family members who would be affected and all of whom represent constituencies who would be gravely harmed – would even consider a bill that would obliterate these gains, returning us to the days when people with mental illness or addiction couldn’t access treatment.
In the midst of a nationwide opioid crisis, members of Congress would do well to remember that Medicaid is the number one pathway to treatment for people with disabling addictions. Addictions don’t kill people. Lack of treatment does.
July 5, 2017 – 11 am – 1 pm – simultaneous rallies across the nation in senators’ district offices. This is a call to action, not an organizing call. We hope people will come and raise their voices.
Your members of Congress are coming home. Let’s be there to greet them. Simultaneous rallies will be held at the district offices of your senator or representative. Find your official and their office here. Find an event near you or create your own event here.
EVERY representative matters. EVERY voice makes a difference.
There are a few key Senators who really need to hear from you.
• If you live in OHIO, we need you at Senator Portman’s district offices.
• If you live in WEST VIRGINIA, we need you at Senator Capito’s district offices.
• If you live in MAINE, we need you at Senator Collins’s district offices.
• If you live in NEVADA, we need you at Senator Heller’s district offices.
• If you live in LOUISIANA, we need you at Senator Cassidy’s district offices.
• If you live in ALASKA, we need you at Senator Murkowski’s district offices.
• If you live in COLORADO, we need you at Senator Gardner’s district offices.
• If you live in ARIZONA, we need you at Senator Flake’s district offices.
• Wear red, white and blue. It is not patriotic to strip vital health care coverage from 22 million Americans. Wear the colors when you raise your voice.
• Bring a friend. Bring your friends, your family, your work colleagues. Let’s fill these offices.
• Bring a sign. Be passionate.
• Share your experience on social media. Join the conversation on July 5 at #RIP22million and any other hashtags you like – share pictures and quotes and videos. Tag your Congressperson.
• Be respectful. These rallies are places to be firm and passionate, but keep in mind that members of Congress are much more likely to engage with attendees who are respectful when voicing their concerns.