Join NASW in commemorating World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD), an observance of the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse, this month.
- Visit the WEAAD resource library for information and ideas about how to plan a program in your community.
- Schedule a viewing of a WEAAD program addressing governmental and United Nations perspectives on elder abuse on Friday, June 14, from 1:15 to 2:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time. The program, which is hosted by the Administration for Community Living (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services), Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, the U.S. Mission to the UN, the UN NGO Committee on Ageing, and AARP, will be live streamed and will remain available in archived format following the event.
WEAAD is also a good time to offer your input on nine proposals for federal action to improve awareness of, intervention in, and response to elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation. These proposals will set direction for the Elder Justice Coordinating Council, a federal interagency initiative established by the Elder Justice Act within the 2010 health care reform law.
The Elder Justice Coordinating Council seeks public input on the nine recommendations and associated action steps. Though public feedback is welcome at any time, comments should be emailed by August 31 for consideration before the Council’s fall 2013 meeting.
Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Home page
- Member list
- Fall 2012 inaugural meeting: agenda, videos, transcripts, & background materials
- May 2013 meeting materials
- Elder Justice Interagency Working Group report of federal accomplishments in elder justice, 2010–2013
Other Administration on Aging/Administration for Community Living Resources
- Prevention of Elder Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation program
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- Year of Elder Abuse Prevention: toolkit, fact sheets, outreach guide, & promotional materials
- Links to other federal elder rights programs: long-term care ombudsman, legal assistance, and more
Other Elder Justice Resources
- Elder Justice Coalition, of which NASW is a member
- Government Accountability Office 2011 report on elder justice
- National Adult Protective Services Association
- National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life
- U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging hearings on elder abuse: 2011, 2012, 2013
Chris Herman, MSW, LICSW
NASW Senior Practice Associate